Clear a Jam
Dealing with a clogged woodchipper can pose safety risks, so it's crucial to approach the situation with caution. Follow these steps to address a clogged woodchipper:
- Shut Off the Engine: The first step is to turn off the engine and disconnect the spark plug wire to prevent accidental starting. Turn the fuel switch off to engine and put the key in the off position.
- Allow Moving Parts to Stop — If the woodchipper was running, wait until all moving parts have come to a complete stop before proceeding.
- Wear Protective Gear — Prior to attempting any action, ensure you're wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) including gloves, safety goggles, and hearing protection.
- Clear Debris — Carefully inspect the chute, hopper, and feed mechanisms for any wood or debris causing the clog. Utilize a sturdy stick or tool to gently dislodge the blockage. Never use your hands or body parts for this purpose.
- Avoid Overloading — When feeding wood into the chipper, ensure you don't overload the machine. Overloading can lead to clogs and unsafe conditions.
- Inspect Blades and Mechanisms — After clearing the clog, examine the blades and cutting mechanisms to ensure they're debris-free and undamaged. Address any issues like bent or dull blades before resuming operation. If necessary, open the feed chute by disconnecting the bolts to swing the chute open to the side for easy access to the blades.
- Reassemble and Restart — Once you're certain the clog is cleared and components are in proper working order, carefully reassemble any parts you may have removed. Reconnect the spark plug wire if necessary and restart the engine following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Resume Operation — Begin feeding wood into the chipper again, ensuring you don't overload and using proper safety precautions.
Here is a video from Sam at Norkdorf Entertainment that helps demonstrate the above as well as some tips that may be helpful:
IMPROVE THIS ARTICLE
If you would like to contribute to this article, please post in the blog comment section (question or answers) to help share your insights. Thank you for improving this space for our woodchipper community with your insights.